Tuesday, July 25, 2006

GIL AND JAMES JOYCE


One afternoon after my university classes had finished, I drank tea with a volunteer named Gil. He didn't socialize much and I believe it was the only time I spoke with him about anything. But one time was plenty, and I mean this in a positive sense. Gil was a very interesting person. I found out that he was planning to leave the Peace Corps and head for Turkey. He explained the route he would take, mentioning a train up inside Russia. I found this amazing. Just leave...not say a word to anyone! Gil was "translating" Ulysses by James Joyce. But the translating was more like interpreting what the heck this novel is about. I still haven't finished it. I finished Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man in a few weeks. Good luck Gil, wherever you are.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home