Sunday, June 25, 2006

BOILING WATER


Water needed to be boiled for at least 20 minutes to remove the amoebas, etc. If I was at home, water was boiling. Water was always boiling.

Drinking tea was also nonstop. Everywhere I went I would be asked, "Do you want tea?" I liked it. Not too strong, and with a little sugar. After a couple months I lost my craving for coffee.

My water was delivered by a 'soogow' (This is the English pronunciation I learned for the words WATER CARRIER or Saqao). He would deliver about 10 gallons each week. He carried the water on his back. The water was inside the stomach of a sheep or goat (I forget which). One time I came with him to my house. He walked hunchbacked, with the water over his back. It was about six blocks from the water source to my house. I paid him about 20 cents for each delivery, and I always gave him a tip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home